Wednesday, December 15, 2010

For my students

This post doesn't have much of anything to do with character or creature design. It will only take my students a few seconds to realize who the animator behind this beautiful short film is; it's Ryan Woodward, the original instructor of the classes that I've taken over from him at AAU.


Thought of You from Ryan J Woodward on Vimeo.

Ryan says The birth of “Thought of You” came from my desire to unite several of my passions into one art piece.  Figurative works, 2d animation, EFX animation, and contemporary dance.  Put all three of these forms together to support a theme centered around the complexities of intimate relationships…and whalaa, “Thought of You” is born!

Rather than creating a narrative animated piece that communicates a well defined story, this piece allows for each individual who views it to to experience something unique and personal that touches their own sensibilities."

When I view this piece I interpret it several different ways; a story of loneliness, dreams, unrequited love, shattered illusions, fleeting joy and utimately heartbreak and loss....but up until the 2:30 mark it could be viewed differently; we dance in and out of one another's lives; sometimes intentionally, sometimes by chance. We can pass through like a comet, burning brightly then flaming out of sight in what seems like moments, or remain in one another's orbit for a lifetime. I hope that you enjoyed our time together as much as I did! These industries are small, and there's a good chance that you will meet with your fellow students again some day in the future, if you stay on your chosen path. One last bit of advice; life has a funny way of throwing things at us that temp us away from the pathway that we've chosen for ourselves. If you have a dream now is the time for it, not "someday" as someday gets further and further away while the world spins madly on. My older students can back me up on this one! So give it all that you have now; grab the opportunities that fly by, including every opportunity to learn and grow as an artist. Dreams can be turned into reality, and I hope that they all are for you. In the meantime, enjoy the dance!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer. This is wonderful!! Its like watching poetry. I am truly inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The advice you offer your students resounds for everyone; a concisely profound truth --

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautifull, my whole (animation)class watched it together, everybody agreed on the awesomeness of the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This animation struck so close to home... it reminds me so much of the person i love and I... I'd always run from him, dance away. And then when I finally realized I wanted him... it seemed like no time at all until he no longer wanted me...

    ReplyDelete